Saturday, March 4, 2017

Natural Light Girl Portrait Lost and Found. SOOC Beauty.


About every year at random times I have a portrait session with my daughter Leia. While digging up some images to post to this blog today, I discovered this gem that was never edited or used for a blog post or printed for framing. Just SOOC. No CS5. Pure RAW image. And then it grabbed me for some reason. The composition and quality of this photograph reminds me of using my old fashioned (I know, I shouldn't have used that term) 35mm Canon Single Lens Reflex. In other words, film. The negative space is open and sprinkled with vintage objects that are unique and sentimental to the homeowner. The Schefflera houseplant is a healthy looking guy and the homeowner definitely has a green thumb. (Nancy!) The natural light spilling in from the large picture window creates a soft shadow on Leia's youthful face without blowing the highlights out. That floor lamp protruding out of Leia's shoulder used to bother the HELL out of me in the past. Now I could care less. It fits the picture. Her expression is a natural smile. Not the annoyed smile I would typically receive. It's actually pleasant! She's taking the time to look at me and NOT her iPhone. I see this photograph being timeless. The nose ring and tattoo will date the image and that's okay. But I've captured a special moment of Leia by accident. Organic. Pure. Natural. Beautiful. Leia.
Shot in May of 2014 at my dear friend Nancy's beautiful acreage in Crescent Iowa with a Canon camera and a 50mm 1.4 Lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment