Thursday, August 29, 2019

Dark and moody background still life photography



My goal for this project was to be able to create a dark and moody still life vibe with the available tools I have on hand. The objects to photograph are of course my 2 obsessions. And they are vintage decor/planters and plants. I plan to rent the monster queen of bokeh 50mm 1.2L lens this weekend so as to compare lenses. Looking for image quality and mega bokeh comparisons. For now I’m using my trusty thrifty/nifty canon 50mm 1.8 lens. 
Paper background was not my thing because I’ve used it before and it’s not only expensive but could be risky without the proper stands etc.I've tripped many times. I have a small space to work within. So I discovered this peel and stick removable chalkboard wallpaper last year and planned on using it as a some cool wallpaper background for my art. (It sat for a whole year!) Fast forward and it occurs to me that this could serve a better purpose. I have struggled to create the perfect studio and I feel now I may be on to something here. I tried my tripod but he’s on his last legs. Literally need to upgrade him. This is hand held and super steady. No probs. Could be sharper but I’ll touch up in post. So as long as I shoot with a fast shutter. High iso. And my aperture wide open(1.8)And stand far enough from the wallpaper I’m able to blur the possible seam in the wall. I had to line the paper up better and not overlap. That is key to this. No overlapping. It’s barely noticeable but I can see it and if I can avoid the extra step in post by snapping a decent photo then more power to me. Settings for this were iso 800, 1/125,  f1.8 and natural window light at about 2/3pm east facing window. 
This shot is exactly what I’m aiming at. Pure melted blacks and not blown out whites. I shot 9 images for this series I call plants and their homes. Or plant homes. I’m not sure what to name this series. All I know is that I created a series of nine and I’m pretty happy with the final outcome. 
 I just love my vintage pottery collection. And the plants that I've adopted to these homes are truly an obsession of mine. This pot is from a garage sale many moons ago. And the plant was a 6 inch orphan laying on the ground next to a pretty cool vintage pickup truck at a certain green house many moons ago. Propagation was no probs. He’s 4 years old. Just look at how big he’s grown!!!!! Love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment