Saturday, February 25, 2012

Floral Photography Studio/Editing Techniques

So I've added another floral arrangement image and in order for me to create the overall diffused natural light on the subject I use a lot of reflectors to bounce the window light. There's only one large window on the left, a white paper back drop and a 5 in 1 reflector to bounce the window light. I use absolutely no flash. This creates a more organic feel in the image. (A tripod is a MUST!) ISO is at 800 which is ideal so I can crank the shutter speed. My camera controls noise pretty darn well at high ISO. I could open the aperture to the max (1.4) but I wanted more razor sharpness-so I stop it down to 2.8. Speaking of focus, I got 8 focus points which is beautiful and I find if I focus on the CLOSEST flower to me, such as the orchid, then you're safe with all the other items in focus. Lastly, the icing on the cake, where I create MORE magic, is in a ridiculously sophisticated software program for photographers I like to call Lightroom 3. Can't live without this program. Basic final edit in CS5 where curves is my favorite. I shoot strictly RAW and the image is very dingy and flat. Curves solves a lot of that. And SAVE SAVE SAVE! 2-3 types of files. This is basic, and I think what I'd like to do next is a before and after post. Lucky to have such a beautiful floral arrangement to start with. Thanks Larry B at Mulhall's!

No comments:

Post a Comment