Sunday, June 20, 2010

happy father's day


one summer when i was 9 i signed up to deliver a paper route with the neighborhood boy up the street. it required me to wake up at the 'crack of dawn 4 in the birds are barely chirping morning' oooo that's a rough feeling you know? my dad came in to my room and woke my up. he had no problem with this-it's what parents are supposed to do-he sat at the foot of my bed until i was ready. he knew i had obligations to fulfill and was there to help me along. he made sure i ate a decent breakfast called lucky charms and hurried my tired paws out the door. i turned to him smiling and watched him watch me walk up the street to gather my newspapers. it was a good and warm feeling to know that he was there to take care of me. my dad worked alot at his business all the time and there are few sweet memories i have of him. he's been gone for 30 years now and i am grateful i still carry this memory tucked in my noggin. this one might seem plain and simple to some but to me it is vivid and sweet and kind and i will cherish it forever. happy father's day dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment